Discover how the Information Mapping® Method can be applied to a wide variety of documents in various media.
Before and After Examples
See how Information Mapping can work for different types of documents:
These are examples from 'mapped' websites and documents from our clients:
- Website (Pension Fund Employers Manual)
- Website (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
- Large technical manual (Logix 400 Installation & Reference Guide)
Don't mistake the format for the method!
What You Can See: when you look at a Mapped document, you're seeing the format, which is only the visible structure of the Information Mapping method. It's easy to mistake the format for the Method itself, but there's much more to Information Mapping than its format. In fact, the format is really just "the tip of the iceberg"
What You Can't See: Invisible to you are the Information Mapping principles that the author followed to create a clear, easily understood document. They include:
- Analysis of the purpose of the document, its content and the needs of the audience, and
- Organization and sequencing of the content based on the results of the analysis.
Only after the Analysis and Organization phases of the Method were complete was the author ready to select the most appropriate Presentation modes and finalize the document, using the easily scanned, easily understood visible structure that you see.
Summary: The format is just one component of the Information Mapping method. Applying the format without understanding the Method cannot be effective.